Sunday, February 13, 2011

Egypt: another "not in my lifetime!" moment

As I watched the events unfold in Egypt, and Tunisia before that, it reminded me of an article I wrote for Association Management magazine.  I had attended an ASAE Foundation event featuring Peter Uberroth, who chaired the 1984 Los Angeles Olympic Committee and served as baseball commissioner. He spoke about a visit to West Germany in the fall of 1989. He was part of a group that had the opportunity to meet the head of state, Helmut Kohl. During that meeting someone asked, "Will the Berlin Wall ever come down?" The prime minister replied, "Yes, but not in my lifetime." Three weeks later, on November 9, the wall came down.

After the recent events in Egypt, what other “not in my lifetime" events should we anticipate?

No comments:

Post a Comment