Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Nine Questions to Measure the Strength of the HQ - Chapter Relationship

What does it take to have a strong, vibrant relationship between HQ and Chapters? What questions might you ask of chapter staff and volunteers to measure the strength of that relationship?

To answer that, I began with a set of questions from the book, First, Break All theRules (it outlines a study by the Gallup Organization that studied 80,000 managers in 400 companies to identify the characteristics of a great manager). Gallup discovered these twelve questions give an organization the most important information it needs to attract, focus, and keep the most talented employees. They are:
  1. Do I know what is expected of me at work?
  2. Do I have the materials and equipment I need to do my work right?
  3. At work, do I have the opportunity to do what I do best every day?
  4. In the last seven days, have I received recognition or praise for doing good work?
  5. Does my supervisor, or someone at work, seem to care about me as a person?
  6. Is there someone at work who encourages my development?
  7. At work, do my opinions count?
  8. Does the mission/purpose of my company make me feel my job is important?
  9. Are my co-workers committed to doing quality work?
  10. Do I have a best friend at work?
  11. In the last six months, has someone at work talked to me about my progress?
  12. This last year, have I had opportunities at work to learn and grow?

Nine Core Questions

This is a powerful set of questions; using them as a foundation, I have created a set of nine questions that can help you measure the strength of the HQ – Chapter relationship. If your chapter staff and volunteers are able to answer “yes” for most or all of these questions, then congratulations, you have a healthy HQ – Chapter partnership!  
  1. Do I know what is expected of me at the chapter level? Are we in agreement about:  a) which activities and functions should be done only by the chapter; and  b) those activities and functions that should be done only by HQ?
  2. Does HQ provide me with the materials and support I need to do my work right?
  3. Does HQ understand and appreciate the priorities of my chapter? 
  4.  In the past three or four months, have I received recognition or praise, from HQ, for doing good work? 
  5.  Does the staff at HQ seem to care about me as a person?  Even better, do I have a friend at HQ? 
  6.  Is there someone at HQ who encourages me, either to take on a new challenge or to learn from a failure? 
  7.  Do my opinions count at HQ? 
  8.  Does the staff at HQ feel the work of the chapters is important? Do they make me feel important? 
  9.  In the last six months, has someone at HQ called to check in and see how we are doing and whether the chapter is meeting its goals?
 
A final word of advice


Remember to give your chapters a pat on the back - free of charge!

No comments:

Post a Comment