Here are nine questions volunteers can ask to help measure the strength of the Volunteer – Staff relationship. If your volunteers answer “yes” for most or all of these questions, congratulations! you have a healthy partnership!
- Do I know what is expected of me as a volunteer? Are we in agreement about: a) which activities and functions should be done only by the volunteer; and b) those activities and functions that should be done only by staff?
- Does staff provide me with the materials and support I need to do my work well?
- Does staff understand and appreciate the priorities of the volunteer?
- Do I receive recognition or praise from staff for doing good work?
- Does the staff at staff seem to care about me as a person? Even better, do I have a friend among staff?
- Is there someone on staff who encourages me, either to take on a new challenge or to learn from a failure?
- Does my opinion count among staff?
- Does staff believe the work of the volunteers to be important? Do they make me feel important?
- In the last few months, has someone called to see how things are going and whether I have made progress towards meeting my goals?